Question:
Can anyone give me information about internet radio?
2010-03-18 14:25:22 UTC
I know nothing about them, yet I heard that you could listen to almost any radio station in the world is this true?

I also heard that you could use a internet radio independent of a computer is this true?

And if so can it be used as a portable and how are you charged for the internet access?

Many thanks.
Five answers:
2010-03-18 14:30:43 UTC
There are several different types of internet radio stations and platforms to listen too.

As far as using it independent of your computer, I don't really understand however, if you have an iPhone like I do, you can download the iHeartRadio app which has several local and nation-wide radio station.

You are not charged unless you are using your phone or a media device that you pay for data usage on.

I recommend Pandora Radio, AOL radio for online. and iHeartRadio for mobile.
John T
2010-03-18 14:36:45 UTC
Not sure exactly how everything goes, but internet radio is somewhat different from am/fm radio. You can usually download an m3u (sometimes other extensions) playlist from the internet, and listen to it via Winamp, Windows Media Player, Real Player, Quicktime, etc.

Some devices, such as the PSP, have internet radio abilities that let you listen to them via the device. You just have to download a free application directly from the PSP (it's perfectly legal and official and everything). I'm not sure what other devices have these capabilities, but I'm pretty sure the iPod Touch/iPhone has it.

Some stations also have the option to play from the website directly, so you can listen to it from anything that has a web browser (Wii, PS3, iPod Touch/iPhone, etc.)

Since it's just from the internet, you don't have to pay to use it exactly, and you only get your standard charges for internet usage, etc.
dzzzzFz
2010-03-18 14:30:38 UTC
Some radio stations that you can hear on FM, AM, satellite radio, etc.... are also broadcasted online. BUT NOT every one is.

There are also radio stations which are only broadcast online (meaning you wouldn't find them elsewhere other than on the internet).

In total, there are a ton of them, but not every single off internet radio stations can also be heard on the internet.

Here are just a very few online radio sites/stations

www.accuradio.com Accuradio

http://music.aol.com/radioguide/bb AOL/CBS Radio

http://new.music.yahoo.com/launchcast/ Yahoo Radio

http://pandora.com/ Pandora (one of some of the internet radio sites that allow you to make customized stations)

etc....

EDIT - I didn't realize yahoo radio is now also associated with CBS. So both Yahoo and AOL radio have the same/all CBS stations plus their own stations, but AOL has a lot more of their own personal stations than yahoo has.
?
2010-03-18 14:28:41 UTC
Just put radio in your search engine, any style, any nationality - they are all on the net - I like having the BBC running behind my games.

Portable is a different game, micro comps, laptops, netbooks - you pay for every minute of access like a phone.
Tiago
2010-03-22 09:53:42 UTC
Hi

Try this free internet radio site: http://www.tv243.com